National News

Mumbai: 19 rescued after Powai studio hostage drama; suspect killed in encounter

MUMBAI , OCT 30 : Chaos unfolded in Mumbai’s Powai area on Thursday after 17 children and two adults were held hostage by a man inside a studio for well over two hours.

In the crossfire that occurred during a rescue operation, the man who had taken several children hostage was killed. The accused, identified as Rohit Aryan, allegedly attempted to open fire, prompting police to retaliate. A bullet hit Aryan in the chest, resulting in his death.

The police successfully rescued 17 students and two adults who had been held hostage by Aryan at a studio located in the Mahavir Classic building in Powai, Mumbai. The accused had allegedly lured the children to the studio under the pretext of conducting acting classes and auditions.

According to police, the hostages were confined for over two hours before officers stormed the premises. The team seized an air gun, chemicals, and other materials from the suspect.

Preliminary investigation suggests that Aryan staged the hostage drama to draw attention to a dispute over unpaid government-related work. Police sources said he and his associates had undertaken a government project but were not paid their dues, leading him to orchestrate the incident to gain publicity.

The rescued children, aged 13 to 17, were handed over safely to their parents and guardians after medical check-ups.

Police said that around 100 children had initially arrived for the audition, but Aryan short-listed 17 and confined them to one room while asking the rest to leave. When the students did not return home for lunch, their absence raised suspicion. The rescue operation was launched after a distress call was received around 1:45 p.m., and the operation concluded by 4:00 p.m.

Authorities are also investigating reports suggesting that the accused may have been mentally unstable. The Powai and Sakinaka police stations are jointly probing the case.

“All the children are safe,” said joint commissioner of police Satyanarayan.

Before the children were rescued, Aryan released a video on social media, saying he wanted to speak to a few people and ask them questions, and he did not want money. If he was not allowed to do so, he will set fire to the studio, he threatened.

-PTI

Related Posts