At least nine devotees killed in stampede at temple in Andhra’s Kasibugga; CM orders probe
SRIKAKULAM , NOV 1 : At least nine devotees were killed and several others injured in a stampede at the Sri Venkateswara Swamy Temple in Kasibugga, Srikakulam district, on Saturday.
The incident occurred during ‘Ekadashi’ in the holy month of Karthikamasam, when an unexpectedly large number of devotees arrived for darshan.
Initial reports indicate that the temple, which has a capacity of around 2,000 people, experienced a sudden surge of nearly 25,000 devotees. The crowd became unmanageable, resulting in a stampede as worshippers pushed forward.
The deceased were identified as Yeduru Chinnamma (50), Rapaka Vijaya (48), Muripinti Leelamma (60), Duvva Rajeswari (60), Chinni Yasodamma (56), Roopa, and Lotla Nikhil (13). The identities of three other victims are yet to be confirmed.
Chief Minister N. Chandrababu Naidu said the temple was constructed and operated by a private individual, and accused the organisers of not informing the police or local authorities about the event.
Addressing a gathering in Sri Sathya Sai district, Naidu said, “Unfortunately, the organisers did not inform the police or local authorities about the event. Had they informed us, we would have provided police protection and controlled the crowd. Because of this lack of coordination, nine people lost their lives and five were injured.”
The CM said that a probe has been ordered into the incident and assured that strict action will be taken against those responsible.
“The government is committed to ensuring that not a single life is lost, but it is very unfortunate that such incidents occur during private programs. A full-fledged inquiry will be conducted, and strict action will be taken against those responsible,” he said.
Naidu had earlier today expressed grief over the loss of lives.
“The stampede at Kasibugga Venkateswara Temple is deeply distressing. I convey my heartfelt condolences to the families of the deceased,” he said, directing officials to provide immediate medical attention to the injured and oversee relief measures at the site.
Endowments Minister Anam Ramanarayana Reddy also stated that the temple is operated entirely by private individuals and has no connection with the Endowments Department or the State government. He noted that the temple management had not informed authorities about the likelihood of such a large gathering.
“Action will be taken against those responsible, and steps will be implemented to prevent similar incidents at privately managed temples in the future,” he said.
State Agriculture Minister Kinjarapu Atchannaidu visited the temple to review rescue and relief efforts. He said the injured are receiving the best possible medical care and that additional police forces have been deployed to bring the situation under control.
Union Minister for Civil Aviation and Srikakulam MP K. Ramamohan Naidu canceled a scheduled tour and rushed to the district to assess the situation.
Governor S. Abdul Nazeer, in a message posted by Raj Bhavan, expressed “anguish and profound grief” over the tragedy and directed the district administration to provide relief and medical assistance. Prime Minister Narendra Modi also conveyed condolences and announced an ex-gratia payment of Rs 2 lakh each to the families of the deceased and Rs 50,000 to the injured.
Deputy Chief Minister K. Pawan Kalyan called for stricter crowd management measures at temples, especially those operated by private entities. He emphasized that the incident highlights the risks posed by large gatherings without adequate safety protocols in place.
IT Minister Nara Lokesh said, “I extend my heartfelt condolences to the families of the deceased. The government is providing the best possible medical treatment to those injured in the incident. Immediately after receiving the information, I spoke to officials, District Minister Achchennaidu, and local MLA Gouthu Sireesha. I have directed them to ensure immediate assistance to the affected families.”
-PTI




