21-year-old Nasire Best identified as White House shooter, believed he was Jesus
NEW DELHI, MAY 24 : The gunman who opened fire at the Secret Service checkpoint outside the White House has been identified as Nasire Best, a report by the New York Post said.
While the gunman’s exact motive remains unclear, reports indicate he was mentally disturbed and frequently flagged by Secret Service officials for loitering near entry checkpoints. Last year, he was arrested twice for committing involuntary crimes like obstructing vehicular traffic and entering a restricted White House pedestrian control post. When the Washington DC Police and the Secret Service officials detained him, he said that he wanted to get arrested as he was the modern-day incarnation of Lord Jesus Christ.
The investigators, hence, suspect that the attack stemmed from his mental instability. However, a further probe into the incident is presently underway to ascertain whether a political motive lies behind the attack.
Earlier, a court order was issued against Best to stay away from the White House premises. However, the 21-year-old reportedly violated the order.
On May 24 (as per Indian Standard Time), Secret Service officials spotted Best, who was appearing at 17th St. Northwest, behaving strangely. He took out a gun and fired a few shots that hit at least one bystander, who suffered serious injuries.
However, officials from the Secret Service’s uniformed division quickly neutralised him by returning fire in a barrage. Best was injured and was taken to the hospital, where the doctors declared him dead.
Talking about the incident, Kash Patel, the director of the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI), said that the officials are presently investigating the case and all the details will be shared with the people once they come out.
“FBI is on the scene and supporting Secret Service responding to shots fired near White House grounds – we will update the public as we’re able,” Patel said, through a post on X.-
-PTI




